Thursday, November 12, 2009

Civil Union



Oil on Canvas, 3.5'x6'

    This was my next painting in my childhood memories series.  I realized that I wanted to focus on landscapes of my childhood, both internal and external.  This is a view of the house I grew up in throughout elementary school.  I lived in this place the longest, so far.  My elementary school was a block away, and I walked to school everyday.  Sometimes my mom would walk with me.  There often seemed to be a haze, whether it was crows, or just the normal gray sky's of the Inland Empire.   It always came across a little ominous to me.
    Abraham Lincoln symbolizes many dichotomy's within our society.  As our society has it's dichotomy's so did my youth.  I understood from an early age that United States history is not what they teach you in elementary school.  Lincoln is a huge figurehead used throughout elementary to symbolize "everything that is good in the United States."  (take that how ever you want to)  He also had a very particular recognizable face.  I wanted the viewer to have something in the painting to automatically connect to, considering everything else about it is very personal.  I did not want to make a statement either.  His head is just placed in the painting, but there is nothing within in the painting itself to imply any particular feelings on my part.  That is for the viewer to decide.

1 comment:

  1. I always felt like this painting was unfinished, but much like our first memories, they are often changing when we come back to them. My first memory was my first day of pre-school. But I also remember the first epiphany of realizing that as a human being I HAVE a memory. I miss those times in my childhood when I would stop and contemplate the fact that I even exist. How my conscience was particularly mine. It's those epiphanies that I miss as an adult.

    ReplyDelete