Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Rosie the Riveter



Oil on Canvas, 4'x4'

    This is my first memory.  We moved from a farm in Iowa when I was 1.5 years of age.  I don't remember any of that.  This is the apartment I grew up in most of my life.  I lived there for 9 years.  I have this vague memory of being in the apartment when we were first moving in and there was nothing in it yet.  I remember sitting on the kitchen floor looking around at what would become my home.
    It was such a simple, boring memory.  I think that is kind of odd.  My first memory is not really of anything, but rather of a place.  My work has a lot to do with that connection between places and memory.  I believe they are very strongly tied.  I also find it interesting to think of places as having memory.
    On another note, my mother had a shirt with Rosie the Riveter on it.  One of my favorite shirts.  I love that image.

No comments:

Post a Comment