Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Untitled



Charcoal on Paper, 3'x5'

This piece started as something entirely different.  I wanted to create a drawing of buried carpet.  It sounds strange.  Regardless it didn't work, so about halfway through I put a couch in it, and it became an overhead view.  I really like how it turned out.  It is one of my favorite pieces.  I felt I mastered a particular technique that is a focus for me.  I want to diverge realism with abstraction.  I know this is often classified as surrealism.  But I honestly don't think my work falls into that category.  This is a couch that was in our living room as a kid.  I played the hot lava game a lot as a kid.  Where you pretend the carpet is actually hot lava and if you touch it you die.  I think subconsciously that is where the rather chaotic carpet comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment