Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Untitled







Charcoal on paper, 3.5'x6.5'


There are a few pieces between this one and the last that I didn't post.  There were a few months were I was a bit frustrated artistically.  I had gotten too nostalgic with the work I had been doing.  I still wanted to focus on childhood memories, but the work had gotten too personal.  I was encouraged to try drawing for a bit.  I discovered that I loved charcoal.  I was able to make choices and decisions immediately.  I did a few smaller drawings and paintings, and then this happened.  
   I had a general idea in the beginning.  It slowly started to take shape as I worked on it.  It is part of a hallway with carpet at the bottom that turns into water.  The chair is floating in the distance.  I'm not sure how obvious it is that the carpet turns into water, but I also don't think this matters too much. 
   This was a turning point.  I started to mix dreams and reality together.  I started to base my work on places from my childhood, but instead of focusing on a realistic interpretation I added emotional content from the time of the memory, and from the action of remembering the specific place.




No comments:

Post a Comment