Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Untitled, Oil on Canvas, roughly 40"x60"


    I have finally started to upload my own images.  It has taken me a while, a mix of nervousness and not really having the time to.  So here it begins, my cataloging.  If you have any questions or comments, I would love them.
    This piece I did (I want to say) in 2004.  To be honest, I'm not sure.  I did this in college.  I had decided I wanted to deal with my mothers death.  It had been such a specific experience that changed my life in a variety of ways, it set off this chain of events that could be directly charted back to her death as a cause.  So, deciding that memory was a big issue for me as well as others I decided I wanted to use memories as a basis for my paintings.
    This is a key memory of my mother.  We were going shopping.  She cursed.  I had never seen her like this before.  My father was gone on a camping trip with my sister.  It was just the two of us.  I relished in these moments.  My mother was sick a lot of my childhood, so times like these were what I lived for.
    As I got older, and my memories of her started to disappear and fade, I realized that I didn't really know her.  I was 12 when she passed away, not quite old enough to view her as anything other than my mother.  This moment though has always stood out in my memories of her.  For those moments, she was not my mother, she was herself.  This is a recreation of that moment.  I used different photos to paint her face and mine.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for starting this blog! I have really missed looking at your paintings. There's something about this one that looks as though it was pulled directly from your brain, as is, without any alterations. I also like all of the green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her hand on the steering wheel. It looks slightly larger than normal, like she's trying to get a grip on the car and her emotions.

    ~Jessica Wali

    ReplyDelete