Saturday, December 26, 2009

WHAT IS ART????????

About year into college my dad asked me how I defined Art.  No one had ever asked me that question before.  I was tongue tied.  What is Art?  In three words.  I had no idea.  Since then I've been mulling over it in my head.  Not constantly agonizing over it, but it's been back there in my dreams and subconscious.  And then the other day it came to me.

I was walking down the street thinking about Marcel Duchamp who I believe changed art forever in an amazing way.  He's brilliant, and art would not be what it is today without him.  At the same time I hate him sometimes for how he changed art.  He might have killed it.  The last brilliant shocking artwork.  I haven't seen anything like it yet for my generation.  Point being.  Marcel Duchamp made art by stating it was Art.  So thats it.  Something becomes Art when you state it's Art.   Simple, to the point, maybe a bit too obvious, but if you stop to think about it (if you care as much as I do about logic..) It's true.  People will step into a gallery and as a performance, do the same thing that they are doing at home, but because they are stating it's Art, then it's Art.  Maybe not good Art, but Art.

I might be the only person out there who thinks that this is soo interesting.  When I first thought about it a couple months back, I was so excited.  But now, it doesn't seem that great.  It actually depresses me a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment